Multiple Choice Questions MCQs
Four options are given at the end of each statement. You should encircle one option from them.
1. Musca domestica is the name of:
(a) Insect (b) Grasshopper (c) House Fly (d) Honey bee
2. Which of the following taxa is not included by Von Linne?
(a) Class (b) Phylum (c) Domain (d ) Genus
3. The DNA of which organelle is studied in molecular clock?
( a) Cytoplasm ( b) Mitochondria (c) Nucleus (d) ER
4. Match Domain system it jib one of the followings.
(a) DNA (b) Protein (c) RNA (d) None
5. True bacteria belongs to:
(a) Archaea (b) Euhacteria (c) Eukarya (d) None
6. Eukarya were formed million years ago:
(a) 1 (b) 1.5 (c) 2 (c) 2
7. The group with unknown evolutionary relationship is:
Monophyletic (b) Polyphyletic (c) Paraphyletic (d) None
8. The similarities between the wing of birds and insects is:
(a) Homology (b) Analogy (c) Systematics (d) None
9. Which of the followings systematics have traditional approach?
a) Evolutionary (b) Phyletic (c) Numerical (d) All
10. Asymmetrical animal is:
(a) Hydra (b) Sponges ( c) Sea anemone (d) Frog
11. Radially symmetrical animal is:
(a) hydra (b) Sponges (c)Ameoba (d) Frog
12. Pentaradial symmetry symmetery
(a) Hydra (b) Star fish (c)Ameoba (d) Frog
13. Hydroskeleton is found in:
(a) Frog (b) Grasshopper (c)Earthworm (d) Star fish
14. Mesenteries are found in:
(a) Diploblastic (b) Friploblastic (c)Psuedocoelomate (d) None
15. Ascaris is
(a) Diploblastic (b) Iriploblastic (c)Psuedocoelomate (d) None
1. (c),2. (c),3. (b), 4. (c), 5. (b), 6. (b), 7. (c), 8. (b), 9. (a), 10. (b), 11. (a),12. (d), 13. (c), 14. (b), 15. (c)
Fill in the blanks
1.The study of kinds and diversity of organisms and the evolutionary relationships aMong them is called _______.
2. …………………………..gave the modern classification system.
3. The assignment of a distinctive name to each species is called……………
4. The constant mutation rate of organisms is called……………………..clock.
5. The members of kingdom ______________ are prokaryotes.
6. The ribosomal RNA changes yen slov,1 v. This slowness of change is called Conservation.
7. The groups showing similarities due to single ancestors are called ……………………..groups.
8. The systematic in which evolutionan relatkmships are developed by study of fossils of ancestors of closely related animals is called _____________ systematics.
9. The resemblances that result from organisms adapting under similar evolutionary pressures are called ……………………..
10. The founders of……………………… taxonomy believed that there are no criteria for grouping taxa.
11. Characters that have arisen since common ancestry with the out-group are called derived characters or………………………
12. Paleontologist Stephen .J. Gould uses the term contingency (rapidly) tor rapid evolutionary …………………………
13. The absence of a central point or axis around which body parts are equally distributed is called __________
14. ……………… is a fluid-filled space in which the internal organs can be suspended and separated from the body wall.
1. systematics 2. Karl von Linne 3. nomenclature 4. molecular
5. Monera 6. evolutionary 7. monophyletic 8. evolutionary
9. analogies 10. numerical 11. Synapomorphies 10. explosion
11. asymmetry 12. Coelom
- The constant mutation rate of organisms is called molecular clock.
- The members of kingdom protista are prokaryotes.
- The ribosomal RNA changes very slowly. This slowness of change is called evolutionary conservation.
- The groups shmAing similarities due to single ancestors are called polyphyletic groups.
- The resemblances that result from organisms adapting under similar evolutionary pressures are called homologies.
- The founders of numerical taxonomy believed that there are no criteria for grouping taxa.
- Characters that have arisen since common ancestry with the out-group are called derived characters or Synapomorphies.
- The hypothetical lineage shown in a diagram is called a tree diagram.
- Paleontologist Stephen J. Gould uses the term contingency (rapidly) for rapid evolutionary explosion.
- ‘Vile absence of a central point or axis around which body parts are equally distributed is called symmetry.
- Coelom is a fluid-tilled space in which the internal organs can be suspended and separated from the body wall. Answers:
1. True 2. False (Monera) 3. True 4. False (monophyletic)
5. False (analogies) 6. True 7. True 8. False (Cladogram)
9. True 10. asymmetry 11. True